Monday, January 16, 2012

Twelve for '12

Well, here we are, over 2 weeks into the new year (2 months, if you observe Samhain) and stats say that about one in four of us have broken those New Years Resolutions already. (Don't fret too much, tho; they also say folks who MAKE resolutions are 10x's more likely to attain their goals than the people who don't make any.) I can't say I've broken mine, because I'm one of those souls who didn't make any. But...I do have a few things I would like to achieve in 2012, and what better way to hold myself accountable (and, to remember what they were by year's end!) than to make a list?! And, because I like symmetry, I've decided that 12 goals in 2012 would be apropos, so with out further adieu...
Mo's 12 Goals for 2012

1.) I'm still on the job hunt, so one of my goals is to find that "perfect" job opportunity. Because we are still a one-car family, part of the criteria is that it be somewhere close enough that I can walk/bike to work. It's a kind of chicken-and-egg situation, because we have been looking at getting a second vehicle (specifically a Jeep Liberty), which could broaden the job search location, but a second income would make purchasing a car a bit easier on the checkbook. (so, should this count as TWO goals?!)

2.) One thing I'd really like to accomplish this year is to get at least get 12 small projects completed around this house. I could probably find 120 that I've been meaning to get around to, but one project a month seems like a reasonably achievable goal, so that's the number I'm going with (and, it's fitting for a twelve in '12, don'tcha think?!) Maybe I'll finally get around to re-doing that old bookshelf, and painting the living room ceiling!

3.) And, while I'm on the subject of this old house -- remember those curtains I was coveting? Well, we finally got them hung, and I'm liking them a lot -- BUT...

I think I'd like them a whole lot better if I had matchstick blinds underneath them. And, see these curtain rods? I really liked them when I bought them, but they aren't....substantial enough. I found some that I like even more, but I thought that telling the mister we need rods to replace the rods I just bought wouldn't be received well, so that will have to wait 'til the next time we're at Lowe's...

4.) I also want to get back to my gardening. I honestly LOVE playing in the dirt, watching the plants grow, and even eating the goodies that we've grown ourselves, but I've been very slack the last couple of seasons, and my garden is showing the neglect. Weeding to do, plants to plant...and I am looking forward to all of it!

5.) Another thing I've been slacking on is my reading. While I usually do slow down in the winter months, I have gotten into a big 'ol slump lately, and just haven't had the urge to sit down and read some...I want to correct that, and more specifically, I want to catch up on a few fictional series that I've gotten behind on. 12 books for 2012....sounds like a good topic for another post!

6.) Which is another thing -- I intend to post to my blogs on a more regular basis. I doubt I'll get back to posting every day, but maybe at least once a week. It really is a cathartic process, and I enjoy having a sort of journal of 'a year in the life' to look back on: books read, places visited, thoughts expanded upon...

7.) I've also been trying my hand at writing, and I have a great idea for a book that I've been working on, but I haven't really been working at it, ya know? I gathered some background info, wrote an outline for the tale I wish to tell, but haven't really given it any structure. So, something I'd like to achieve this year is to get that project off the back burner, and get the story down on paper.

8.) Another one of my passions is photography, and one of the goals I have set-- and am actually making good on, thanks to the 365project -- is to take more pictures!! Not only more, but better...this is something that I so enjoying doing, and I really want to improve my abilities, so the best way for me to do that, is the same way they tell me one gets to Carnegie Hall - practice, practice, practice!! I just started this project on Jan. 1; A few of my favorites, thus far:




(I believe I'm going to enjoy striving for this one!)


9.) Try out 12 new-to-me recipes. Yes, I think this one will be a fine, fun goal to accomplish too! ever since I became addicted to aware of Pinterest, I have found SOOO many yummy recipes that I've added to my own repertoire (like these 7-layer tostadas & these bacon-wrapped jalapeno bites) and there are TONS more I have pinned in anticipation for more taste-bud treats in my future....like, these Cajun crab cakes, and this Chicken Parmesan w/Avocado salsa, and so many more that my mouth is watering as I type!

10.) To aid in my "more pictures" goal, and as a goal to maintain my health & fitness -- as well as the health and fitness of the mister and the hounds, too -- I want to take more walks. We average a nightly stroll about twice a week, but I'd like to make that a more reliable endeavor: not just "about" twice a week, but AT LEAST twice a week...maybe more. Not only is it a good physical activity, it's good mentally as well. The hounds will love it, if we stick to this one! And, if I try out all those new recipes, I may even need a more vigorous routine than that...

11.) So, while I've been very good at staying with my little morning exercise routine, I think I'd like to take a Tai-Chi class. They offer a beginners course here at the beach, and I can't think of a more perfect setting for this stress-reducing exercise (not that I have much stress in my life, but it would also be a great way to maintain one's flexibility, and the mister would enjoy it too, so it's something we could do together...plus, did I mention it's AT THE BEACH??!)

12.) While I've touched on improving my status physically, mentally, emotionally and financially, my final goal is to improve my spiritual well-being, namely to spend more time on recognizing it. While I don't live in a mansion or net a million dollars, I feel so totally and completely blessed with my life, and I want to spend some time each and every day in recognizing that...and, rather I attain any of the previous goals or not, I intend to take a little time each day and just be thankful for all the things I already possess: people (and critters!) who I love and who love me in return, good health, a roof over my head, food in my belly, clothes on my back...life is good!

Here's to a Happy & Healthy 2012 -- Now, go out there and make it GREAT!!



4 comments:

Shelly B. said...

Wonderful Mo! And so well written. I've always loved your writing style. Really hoping you get that novel down on paper.

I've been trying to get mine completely down on paper for ... ohhhh, about 7 years now ;-)

I've got both my thumbs pointed straight up at the sky for ya'!

Shelley said...

Love the idea of 12 in 12 :) Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

Mo said...

Hey y'all...thanks for droppin' in!

'Preciate the kind words, Shelly; I hope it doesn't take me 7 years to get that thing written, but at this pace, I may very well give you a run for your money! lol...

And, Shelley, honestly, I can't wait to see what I come up with, either! ;-) Maybe if I quit spending so much time on Pinterest, I might actually accomplish something!!

Shelly B. said...

LOL, isn't it funny that your 2 posts are from Shelly & Shelley?!